Tuesday, April 13, 2010

How To: Ruched Scarf From Pajama Pants

Good evening! What a day it has been. Full of get up and go and naps and photoshopping, dinner and a new Tinkerbell at 9pm I can post this tutorial! But I am just so proud of this scarf I would have done it all three times to show you how! Have a look, it is pretty wonderful yes?




Scarf Final Product (2)1


I absolutely love it! I wear it everywhere I go. It is so feminine and yet so comfortable. You have to know that I intend on buying up all of the cotton jersey pajama pants in the nation for more of these! The tutorial has some [badly drawn]photoshop images because I over-complicated the original process. Also, this was one of those things that just didn't offer up the right opportunities for clear, instructional photos. regardless, it is so simple!

Full tutorial after the jump.

Materials
Pair of pajama pants
Optional but very helpful tools:
Rotary cutter (scissors of course will work but I cannot reccomend a rotary cutter enough!)
Gathering foot (If your machine shirrs with elastic you can do that too, if you cannot do either you can hand ruffle it takes a bit more time but not much. I'll link to two good tutorials at the end.)
Quilting guide (Super helpful in keeping gathering stitches somewhat straight)




pants fold

pins

sew ends

fringe cuts

quilting guide

quilt arm set up

ruffle first row
If you do not have access to a gathering foot you can use this tutorial from Disney @ Ruffles & Stuff or you can shir with elastic thread (my machine won't do this and it makes me ever so sad!) or you can try the old 'zig zag stitch over string/dental floss/fishing line and then pull to gather' trick. (Don't forget to knot the fishing line at one end!).

quilting guide in action
Gather in rows every inch (or less) across the width, with your stitches following the length of the fabric. Do not worry if your scarf starts to shorten on one side, you can always run more gathering stitches on the longer sides to shorten it up. You can also trim the fringe to give it the look of being evenly gathered.
fringe knots
And you are done! Easy peezy lemon squeezy!

Scarf Final Product closeup
The only other thing you might want to do (but I did not) is to sew right sides together down the length of the scarf, giving you a tunnel. Turn out and now you have a skinny scarf. I like the wide scarf myself, and it folds up nicely when I want a skinnier look.

action shot
Action shot!!

barrette and brooch
Oh, and if you have lots of leftover fabric like I did, you can create some matching accessories like this brooch and hair clip.



As always, proudly linking to the following link events.


Mother's Day Party @ Brown Paper Packages
 
Tutorial Tuesday @ Hope Studios

Creative Share Wednesday @ The Trendy Treehouse

Idea Sharin' Wednesday @ Women Who Do It All

Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts



Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple

Make It & Wear It @ The Train To Crazy

Have you entered the Let's Go Outside Giveaway? Enter here before midnight Sunday! Giveaway closed. Thanks to all our participants!

16 comments:

Carol said...

This was so clever! What a great idea! I'm going to be looking for a pair of pajama pants next time I go to the second hand store. Thanks for doing the tutorial.
Stop by and visit me sometime!
http://songberries.blogspot.com

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

It turned out great!! You're going to have everyone looking for jammy pants now *grin*.

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Well done! I will have to try one of these. Sadly, I don't think any of my pjs are as pretty as yours!

Jill said...

Wow, that turned out great! I love the matching accessories! Thanks for sharing a great tutorial!
-Jill

x vInTaGe VioLeT x said...

love it!!!

Anne said...

What a pretty scarf!! And I'm lovin' the idea of using the quilting guide to get the rows of elastic thread straight.

I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://untilwednesdaycalls.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-to-ruffled-scarf-from-pajama-pants.html

--Anne

Victoria said...

Thanx for sharing your "how-to" for this cute scarf!!

The Sewing Dork said...

Nice looking scarf and professional looking tutorial. Congrats!

Jess said...

I'm in love with this scarf! I need to make one exactly like it!

Adventures in Dressmaking said...

Nice! I just made a scarf, too, out of old project scraps! http://adventuresindressmaking.blogspot.com/2010/04/silk-scrap-scarf.html

Donna said...

Wow...this is lovely Melissa! Fantastic job! You look really cute in it too, I must say. :o)

Pati @ A Crafty Escape said...

Must do this... so cute!

Unknown said...

Oh I LOVE it :)

Jennifer Juniper said...

Now you can wear you pajamas all day :)

Andrea said...

Now that's a first! Very cute!

twobutterflies said...

I think I bookmarked this when you posted it last spring - I even bought a cute pair of thrifted pajama pants to use - and then forgot all about it. Now I've rediscovered it and think I definitely need to make this!