Monday, December 12, 2011

How To: Refurbish a Jewelry Box with Clip On Earrings and Paint

before-and-after

Some difference eh? I love it. A little bit of paint, fabric and shiny baubles and this once almost useless jewelry box is useful and pretty. I was on a big spray painting kit one day and collected everything I could find that might make a pretty accessory holder. The pulls were hideous (and hard to use being so small) so I dug into my thrifted clip on earring collection and voila! here is how I made it:

Gather Ye Materials
Jewelry box
Paint (optional) I used Rustoleum Apple Red Spray paint
Clip on Earrings (1 for each drawer/door)
Small piece of fabric

Gather Ye Tools
Hot glue gun
Scissors
Pliers
E600 glue

Begin at the beginning...

Step-1

Step 1:  Remove hardware holding door glass and the door glass.
{If painting}Remove drawer pulls and tape a pice of paper to where door glass was.
 Rustoleum-Apple-Red-Spray-Paint
Step 1.5: Paint
Step-2
Step 2: Use glass as template for fabric. Cut fabric larger than glass.
Step-3
Step 3: Glue down fabric to inside of door frame.
Step-4
Step 5: Trim fabric.
Clip-On-Earrings

Collect your clip on earrings.
Step-5
Step 5: Remove backs from clip on earrings. I did this with a pair of pliers. I held onto the earring with a pair and pulled on the clip with a pair.
Step-6Step 7
Step 6: using a glue that can bond metal to metal (like E600) to glue the earrings to each drawer pull.
finished red jewelry box
Step 8: Add post earrings to fabric and you're done!
Closet1Red-Accessory-Holders Closet
Add it to your bedroom and fill with your fabulous accessories!
Happy refurbishing!

5 comments:

Toni said...

Awesome, awesome, job. I love the use of old clip-on earrings as drawers pulls. I have some "gems" from my grandmother and an old little jewelry box like that - I had received when I was a little girl. The wheels are turning!!!

multiplexgroup123 said...

Multiplex Group is one of the leading manufacturers marketers and exporters of Micro Nutrients, Organic Fertilizers, Farm ManagementBio-Organic Manure, Bio-Fertilizers, Bio-Pesticides, and Bio-Activators from Bangalore, India.

ORGANIC FERTILIZERS MANUFACTURERS
FARM MANAGEMENT

For more details log on to :- http://multiplexgroup.com

Little Mrs. Jonesss said...

I am so glad I found this blog! I can't wait to make one of these myself. I plan to hit the thrift stores today! Thank you

Hris Bandhu said...

Thanks for sharing this great post dude
Gemstone Online

jasmin jew said...

nice post.. thanks for sharing with us .

Jewelry Boxes